I have recently been chatting with a lovely sex shop owner that was happy to pass on their experience hiring a new worker. At the time they had a bit of a slap-happy way of hiring their employees. They would run the add and ask some questions. Or simply employee people from recommendations of other staff. As it turned out they asked everybody different questions. The purpose of this article is to talk about hiring the right worker.
The reason you want to be careful is for a number of reasons (we will add later or read this) but the only one that is pertinent to this story is customer service. The owners in question employed a close friend of one of their employees.
This fellow ticked a few boxes, he was energetic and happy. But as time went by they discovered that the worker had ZERO patience when it comes to customers. He was outright rude in some cases. Despite being told about these issues the owners decided to persevere with this employee.
Sales dropped and business became harder the owners were doing a stock take and keeping a close watch on the cash but for the life of them, they could not find the problem. There was no stealing.
Change Needs To Happen Fast.
There came a point in time the owners got sick of trying to prop up the business and decided to act. They made a clear plan 3 months trying to turn around the business or close it down. So they did an audit and found out the employee in question had been planning to leave for years. They actually hate the job and hated the customers. Because they didn’t want to be there it showed in every sale. Every single customer hated shopping in the store. Many changed days to shop with a different staff. The owner acted and sacked the employee.
Immediately customer came in and said where’s the dude. When they were told that he had left there was absolute happiness. Sales turned around immediately. Or within weeks. So after listening to this story here’s our 10 steps to employing the right staff.
Hiring the right Worker for your sex shop
- Make sure you get a wide number of applicants. use gumtree or facebook.
- Send all applicant to an online form that asks the question you want answers to so you can filter the applicants your-website.com.au/jobs
- Ask questions that are pertinent to your business. For instance “what would you do if a customer asked you for sex, this happens a lot in sex shops”.
- Have an opening spiel about the job and what you need, so its clear before
- Make sure you ask them how many hours , and what hours suit them. Because the available hours may not match the potential applicant’s needs.
- Then out of the applicant check the responses and email the ones that are interesting
- Book the interview times (the ones that are any good)
- Ask everybody the same questions and write down your answers
- Choose 2 people to trial
- Run your trial choose the best of the 2
A Sample of an opening spiel
Here’s Some sample Form Questions we like
- Mr , Miss , Mrs etc
- Date Of Birth
- Residential Status
- How Many Hours are you looking for and why.
- Then List your shifts so they can choose what they want.
- Ask specifically about late shifts and weekends
- A Bit about why you want to work for us. (This is a very important section that we base a lot of importance in)
- Add A couple of pre-interview question
- NO Vibe Cleaner (what would you do if a customer wanted vibe cleaner and you didn’t have any.)
- What would you do If a customer brought back a broken vibe?
- Add a section about past employers so you can check your potential new recruit.
- Throw in an out of the blue question just to see if they a concentrating for instance: If you could be an animal what would you choose and why. This question is simply to see if they answer more than one word.
Now that you have the basis good luck with your search if you have any questions please add it to the comments below.